Having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is the most important thing you can possess. More than fortune or fame. More than silver or gold. More than friends or even family. Knowing Jesus is far greater. The question for many though, is how can I know Jesus. How can I know Him in an intimate, personal way? It’s my prayer that this site will help you do just that. I don’t pretend to have all the answers, but I will give you what I believe to be the truth about knowing Jesus in a personal way. I will teach you what He has taught me through and by His Holy Spirit.
First Things First
In order to know Jesus in an intimate, pesonal way and learn how to live for Christ, we need to go to the Bible. The Holy Scriptures give us the answers, the guidence and a map if you will, of exactly how we can know Him. It’s important that you understand and believe that the Bible was written by men who were believers in Christ and who were inspired by The Holy Spirit to write its contents. I will explain more about The Holy Spirit later in this article.
Many think that the Bible was simply written by men from their own ideas and thoughts. But as you read and study the Scriptures, you’ll get a better understanding of how it would have been impossible for a group of men from all over the world, from different walks of life, at different times and centuries, to have put together such an elaborate theme that meshed together so beautifully and told the same magnificent story of Jesus Christ. Throughout this article, I will relate to Scripture many times. It is my belief that the Word of God – The Holy Bible -was God breathed, God inspired, and is without error and infallible. Please keep this in mind as you continue on this journey of getting to know Jesus Christ.
Who Is This Jesus
I will assume that since you’ve landed on this site, you already know who Jesus is and simply want to know Him in a more intimate way. You may have been in church most of your life or perhaps, you’ve been a Born Again Believer for many years but have never grasped hold of that close, personal relationship with Christ. It may be that you once had a close relationship with Him but you’ve let the things of this world stifle your first Love -Jesus. If that’s the case, I pray that this article will be of help to you. However, you may have landed here because you don’t know Christ and you’re searching for someone or something to show you -explain to you the simple yet complex plan of knowing Jesus.
Before you can know how to live for Christ, you need to know something about Him. Let’s explore what the Bible says about Jesus and who He was – and is.
- Jesus Always Was – In the book of John chapter 1 vs. 1-4, it reads, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.vs. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.” NASB
- The Birth of Jesus Was Foretold – Seven hundred years before Christ was born, the prophet Micah said in Micah 5:2, “But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,Too little to be among the clans of Judah, From you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel. His goings forth are from long ago, From the days of eternity.” Again in the book of Isaiah it reads, “For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. NASB
- Jesus Was Born of a Virgin – Jesus did not originate at birth, but pre-existened with the Father in Heaven. He was born into a world that He Himself had created. His mother Mary, conceived by the Holy Spirit. Therefore, His biological father was God Himself. The angels sang to announce His arrival! Mary was engaged to Joseph, a direct descendant of David. An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because He will save his people from their sins.”
All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call Him Immanuel” which means “God with us”. NIV
- How He Grew As a Man – Jesus was raised in Nazareth and worked at His earthly father’s trade as a carpenter as a young man. When He was only twelve, He preached in the temple and discussed theology with the religious leaders of His day. (Luke 2:46-49) John the Baptist acknowledged Jesus as “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29), and a voice from heaven confirmed this, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased” (Matthew 3:17).
- The Ministry of Jesus – Jesus, filled with the Holy Spirit, began preaching that the kingdom of heaven was at hand. (Matthew 4:17) He taught love, compassion, mercy and grace for one another. He also taught with authority. He was after all, God in the flesh.
- The Miracles of Jesus – Jesus did many miracles while He was here on Earth. Miracles of healing, miracles of turning water into wine, miracles of feeding 10,000 with just 2 loaves of bread and 5-fish, miracles of cleansing, miracles of rebuking demons and even miracles of raising the dead. He truly was a Miracle Worker.
- He Said Himself He Was One With The Father – Jesus said Himself that He and the Father were one. He said that His mission was to “seek and save that which was lost”. He also said that He had come to give eternal life to ALL who would believe.
- Jesus Paid The Ultimate Price For You and Me – The Bible tells us in many accounts, that Christ paid the ultimate price for you and me when He gave up His own life for us. Christ died a cruel, agonizing death so that you and I could have eternal life with Him.
Here is a video from 1971 of the Reverend Billy Graham talking about this very subject. Yes, it’s an old video but it’s still relevant today. Why? Because Jesus never changes!
Do You Know Him
The title of this article is How Can I Know Jesus – Building a Personal Relationship With Christ. The most important thing as I mentioned in my very first sentence, is knowing Christ.
Do you know Him? If not, let me take you down a road to knowing Christ. Something we Believers call, The Roman Road.
- We must first acknowledge God and that He is who He said He is. Romans 1:20-21“For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse…..”
- We must realize that we are sinners, that we need a Savior and that we need forgiveness. None of us are worthy of His salvation as Romans 3:23
“For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God.”
- God gave us a way to be forgiven of our sins. He showed us His love by giving us the opportunity of having eternal life through His son Jesus Christ. Romans 5:8
“But God demonstrates His love toward us, in that, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
- We Must repent of our sins, (turn from your current direction in life and turn towards Christ.) and simply ask Him to forgive us. If we do, the Bible tells us that we will have eternal life. Romans 6:23
“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- Confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, believe that God raised Him from the dead and you will be saved. Romans 10:9-10
“That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
- Call upon the Name of the Lord and you will be saved! Romans 10:13
“For whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
- Make Jesus Christ the Lord of your life. Romans 11:36
“For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.”
The Roman Road spells it out very clearly. Salvation is a Gift from God. You can’t earn it. You can’t work for it. You can’t bargain with God over it. It’s FREE – all you have to do is accept it.
-Believe – Acknowledge – Admit – Repent – Confess – Call
Salvation is simple. Sadly though, many will not receive His free gift. Many will log out of this article and try to forget what He’s done of each one of us. Many however, will receive this free gift from God. I pray that if you don’t know Him, today will be that day. You start by praying a simple prayer something like this,
“Dear God, I know I’m a sinner, and I repent of my sin and ask for your forgiveness. I believe Jesus Christ is Your Son. I believe that Your words are true and believe that Christ died for my sin. I believe that you raised Him to life again. I want to trust Him as my Savior and follow Him as Lord, from this day forward. God I don’t know how so I’m trusting you to guide me and help me to do your will. I pray this in the name of Jesus. Amen.”
If you prayed this prayer, WELCOME to The Family of God!!!
The Bible teaches us that the very moment we repent, surrender our lives to Christ and call on Him to save us, we are saved – once and for all. The Bible also teaches that nothing can separate us from the love of God! Romans 8:38-39 says this,
“For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
The Bible also tells us that immediately upon salvation Christ give us His Spirit to live and dwell in us. We call that the Holy Spirit. “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.” John 16:3
Lastly, the Bible teaches that once you’ve become a Born Again Believer in Jesus Christ – A Christian – you are to be baptized. Jesus was baptized by John The Baptist. Matthew 3: 16-17
“As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
Baptism is simply a testament to your profession of faith and your commitment to follow Christ. Baptism is NOT part of salvation but rather a symbol of your obedience to following Christ.
Here a some things that will help On Your New Journey with Jesus
- Find a local Bible believing church and get baptized as commanded by Christ.
- Tell someone about your new faith in Christ.
- Spend time with God each day in prayer and reading His Word. Develop a habit of praying and reading The Word daily. This is one of the key factors in knowing Jesus more intimately.
- Seek fellowship with other Believers.
- Pray and God will lead you to a local church where He wants you to grow and serve.